My Greatest Enemy is My Inner Me

This blog will tell the story of an up-and-coming young black man in his 20's

Monday, October 30, 2006

Just a Phone Call Away (I'm Back)


Hello Blog World.



Yes I know it has been like 10 days since I've last blogged. Its been a combination of things. Mainly work, as well as not having anything exciting to talk about. That's why I check out my boy Zed on a daily basis. He could make a simple topic like "bitching employees" sound exciting.



My favorite cousin Smooth came into town, although it wasn't exactly under the best circumstances. A family member on his father's side had died in a car accident, and the funeral was here in Chicago. It really got me to thinking about how life isn't guaranteed, and also how I need to vastly improve my communication with my own family. I talk to Smooth and Tiger just about every day on the emails, but otherwise I may talk to other parts of my fam "maybe" once a month. Maybe. That's terrible. And I keep thinking about the fact that no one truly close to me has died yet, and I'm afraid of how I will take it if that day comes. I know that I would feel sad if I didn't get a chance to have a recent conversation with them. So beginning today, I'm going to call a lot of people in my family to see how they're doing. I'm even going to ask Smooth for our cousin Wimpy's email address, who's stationed in Iraq.






And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming!







Last night, after dropping Smooth and lil brother Todd Mack off at the airport, I decided to run into a grocery store to refill on some liquids because those aforementioned cats drunk up all my kool aid and "orange quarter water" jug! I'm expecting to be in and out in 10 minutes flat, but the cashier decides to try to test the lady right in front of me and not give her the correct change. That lady was like "Excuse me - I gave you a 20. You owe me 10 more dollars!" So then the cashier had to bring the manager over, and they go into the back to count the drawer down. All this going on with the store becoming busier. I was really close to just leaving my shit on the belt and picking it up another day. About 10 minutes later, her and the manager come back and give the lady her 10 dollars. After finally leaving the store, I was ready to go home, watch the Sunday Night Football game, and fall into a nice slumber.



But before I do that, I decide to call Staci first.



Staci, for those who remembered, was a chick that was in my play. A very beautiful girl that has acting aspirations much like myself, and knows a lot of people in the industry. She's ahead of me in the accomplishments, as she just finished being in a movie with the comedian Micheal Blackson. Most of you all remember him from Next Friday when he told Pinky "I can not get Jiggy with this!" in his African accent.


I called her, and she's says "I was just about to call you and see if you wanted to go to this comedy club. Michael Blackson called me and told me he was in town to do this show at Riddles."
At first I was unsure, thinking to myself that I would be missing out on another possible Terrell Owens melt down on the sidelines. But then I would be falling back into that "content now and complain later" stage, so I quickly changed my tune and told her I was down.



The comedy set was nice. A lot of local acts, but clearly Michael Blackson was the star. Afterwards, he came over and gave Staci and hug and she introduced me to him. He seemed very cool.



On the way home, I try to pick Staci's brain about "life". She tells me that she is focused on her acting thing, but she is looking for someone to hang out with, and go from there. After I drop her off at her car, she tells me "You need to quit playing and call me more often."




Yeah, you and a host of others.



Thanks for Reading,


Robert L. Mack

20 Comments:

Blogger T. Cas said...

Is that the guy that always say motha sucka on Comic View?

T.O. actually played well and didn't blow up on anybody, so you didnt miss anything much.

Staci putting it out there for you, now you gotta do the follow through, Mack.

Mon Oct 30, 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

Yeah she saying call her so yall can BANG!!!!!!!!! But u know how that goes

Mon Oct 30, 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Lol @ Missy.

Yeah, you and a host of others.
Alright player. So why don't you call any of them?

Mon Oct 30, 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger Curlycurvynervy said...

Sound like she having a mack attack...LOL what u got for her? Poor girl even laying it out for you...she got it that bad..I didn't know you got a wait list going...;o)

Mon Oct 30, 02:49:00 PM  
Blogger Robert L. Mack said...

I'm going to respond to everyone but I had to respond to Miz JJ first..

Miz JJ
I wasn't referring to any other women, I was talking about family (going back to the first part of the post). LOL. I'm not a player. I don't even crush a lot.

Mon Oct 30, 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger SynSational said...

Soooo, what you gone do, playa? LOL

Mon Oct 30, 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger Tenacious said...

Hmmm Mr. Mack don't tell me you're running from it...I'm with Missy...code: She wanna bang.

@ Mr. Mack

Hey maybe she'll be down with that...And I'm assuming those girlfriends gave it up?

*arch eyebrows*

And what were you doing at R&R McDonalds...let me find out there's a tape circulating the Chi starring you....

Mon Oct 30, 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dynasty said...

Well, you made the first step...accepting the date. Now, let's see what happens.

I feel you about the family death thing. I think about that from time to time because I'm in the same boat you're in. I haven't had anyone close to be die, so I can't even imagine how I would handle it. I tip my hat to people who lose loved ones and remain strong.

Mon Oct 30, 04:54:00 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

ENOUGH!!!! Maaaan! If you don't call that woman back and set some shit up! I will personally fly to chicago and dunk your head in water repeatedly! Girl invite you out and you playing the shy WAIT..HOLD UP!

Okay Rob whats wrong with her !

Mon Oct 30, 06:00:00 PM  
Blogger Miss Ahmad said...

dude, that's a lay up, all you have to do is take it to the hole....pun intended.

call stacy cuz you know it's about to be cold ass hell in the chi, and you might at least wanna foot warmer.

Mon Oct 30, 11:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Editor Shawn said...

negropino is hot. shit. does she go out with white dudes?

Tue Oct 31, 08:52:00 AM  
Blogger Robert L. Mack said...

TCas
Yeah, that's the dude. I'll try to follow thru. Just a phone call away, right?

Negropino
I just love that pic of you and the latina. whew! But anyways...
You think she wanna bang huh? I don't know yet. Stay tuned.

CurlyCurvyNervy
LOL...Wait list? Not even...

Synsational
I don't know. Follow thru like TCas says and take it from there...

Tenacious
I aint never ran away from any azz...not any pretty azz...lol..well not since i was about 16. Maybe I'll tell that story one day...

Dynasty
Exactly. We'll see what happens, you know I'm always pessimistic. I believe things when I see them.

So far I emailed my cuz in Iraq, and I talked to moms yesterday. Today I plan on calling both of my grandmothers. I saw her at my cuz Aunt's funeral though. But I'm going to still call.


Slish
LOL!!! Nothing's wrong with her. Don't act like you aint never had a number in your phone and was like "damn why haven't I called yet?"

Or maybe that's me.


Miss Ahmad
I've been known the miss lay ups before. Chicks practically left the lane "open" for me. LOL....
Damn it is going to be cold, nothing like some azz to warm a brotha up...hmm....Yeah I'm going to keep in touch with her.

Editor Shawn
You gotta go on her blog to get into her um "preferences". Yeah she is cold as heck! Imagine dancing with her. Oh wait, I did! LOL!!!!!!

Tue Oct 31, 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

You are fuckin' sleepin', dude. Stop sleepin'!

KZ

Tue Oct 31, 10:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Tiger said...

Yeah cuz you do need to call more often. Your dad be asking me how you are doing. And you saw how Jazz acted when she came over on Sunday. But I got some more Everglow! You know the bottle glow in the dark! Miss you can't wait until we head down to Texas. Maybe I need to hit up Riddles?

Tue Oct 31, 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

Nope never done that shit.. If I ask for the number I'm using it..Shit I might just lick the piece of paper its written on..lol

Tue Oct 31, 11:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Smooth said...

Sup Cuz. Sorry bout the quarter water but I did splurge for lunch Sunday so hopefully that made up for it.

Yeah I know the death thing all too well. I've seen death in all faces, from natural causes to nucckas getting murked. I always hated that I lost touch with one of main cats and after he got bodied that's when I decided to make sure those closest to me stay that way, but at the same time I also realized God may move people out of your life for a reason. Just don't ever loose touch wit me I'm always your connection to the rest of the fam.

Tue Oct 31, 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger TTD said...

so quit playing then! :-)

and dont act like that.. u can always catch the highlights on espn...

and ur more than welcome to come to bmore on nov 17th.. that's going to be a GREAT GTL/TTD party

Tue Oct 31, 03:20:00 PM  
Blogger 1969 said...

Mr. Mack....you can't complain about being on the bench when you keep missing the layups.

C'mon man. Get in the game. The girl was setting it out for you.

And yes, there is nothing more important than family....call or email them more often. Stay in touch.

Wed Nov 01, 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Robert L. Mack said...

KZ
I'm up man. The alarm (Lil Rob Mack) has been "ringing" for a while now.

Tiger
Put the drank down. LOL!!!! I talked to The Original Mack last week. Put I do need to go up there.

Slish
LOL. Well I'm the classic procrastinator.

Smooth
Yeah man thanks for the pizza, I forgot to tell you. Don't trip, I reloaded on the quarter waters. LOL..Yeah see you've been thru it, as far as dealing with death. I remember when your guy from HS died in a car accident right? Come on man, now we may not talk on the phone every week, but we email at least 3, 4 or sometimes 5 days week. Me, you and Tiger.

TTD
Yeah you're right, especially with ESPN. They need to name it esTn, the T standing for Terrell. LOL....
I'm going to Dallas the week after so I'll have to wait for the next TTD/GTL party. My bad.

1969
LOL, very true indeed. I'm working on my "game" with a lot of one on one practice. LMAO!
Staci called me yesterday too.

Wed Nov 01, 08:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Shock said...

I see you have been BUSY, huh LA?

Wed Nov 01, 06:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home